Thursday, May 30, 2013

Wednesday's Workout Was...

Miles yesterday: 4.25 miles, one mile warm up, 12x400s, 400 to cool down 
Miles today: 5.01 miles, slow, gentle, coddling miles
Miles in 2013: 438.2 miles

Tough. Wednesday's workout was tough. But good. But I struggled. More than I had thought I really would. And now I am in my office, feeling like I should be laying on the floor stretching out my hammys and foam rolling the crap out of the rest of my legs. Instead I am eating Ghirardelli dark chocolate with sea salt bars (thank you for the introduction, Molly!) and typing this lil blog post. 

Anyhow, for the past few months, all my speed workouts have been on the treadmill. There are pros and cons to this. Pros: I set my goal pace and run the exact same pace for each repeat. I don't slow down and run what the treadmill says. Cons: The treadmill does not push me if the goal pace was too slow. It is easy to get a little bored and complacent. 

Yesterday I  made it to a Leapfrog Running track practice, (yes, finally) in the rain. I knew the workout was 400 repeats and I happen to be running the 5K portion of a triathlon on Sunday. (A little late for good speed work, but better now than never) I figured I would run my normal 2 minute 400 and all would be happy and well. Hahaha. Our coach and my fellow runners had other plans. 

My garmin decided to die at the beginning of practice, so I was placed with a group who was supposed to average 1:57 400s, with a 90 second passive rest. Perfect. Our first 400 was 1:39. It was hard. The second slowed by a few seconds, and the third slowed by a few more seconds. By the finish of the 3rd 400, I was sucking wind. (no shame here) My only thought was, no effing way am I up for 9 more at this pace. My little group did not seem phased and continued to push the pace. The 4th 400 I definitely lagged and was in around 1:56. Still sucking wind, and 90 seconds were flying by. My group did not let up, nor did they let me give up. I struggled a ton through 7-10, but kept right at a 1:50 pace. 

Each lap went something like this in my head: "oh god they are starting out too fast. puking out here would be so embarrassing  ok I can hold this pace. ok halfway. *&%#$ing wind, why are my shoes so heavy. control your breath. just a few more steps. catch that guy....thank god. done." Also the inside of my head is an ugly place.

I was very grateful to our coach. He was super encouraging and really stressed taking each 400 at a time. I definitely could not have made it through all 12 repeats at that pace, without him talking me through.  I feel like he senses what a mental case I can be. And surprise, fastest 12x400's I have done. Ever. 

Looking like a drowned, tired (happy) rat after practice.

Needless to say, when my alarm went off at 5:25 AM I was not ready for another run. But I did it anyway. They were slow, comfortable miles, and I felt better afterwards, but definitely need to do some serious stretching and icing and foam rolling today.

Picture taking and running at 5:45 AM.

Sunrise was worth it. And look who we came home to:

<3 <3 <3

Happy almost Friday!